Understanding Sight Loss – free e-learning, guidance and resources
This contains a number of free resources and useful information relating to sight loss
- e-learning for practitioners
- e-learning for jobseeekers
- e-learning for employers and colleagues
- lets work together booklet for employers
- staying in work booklets for individuals with sight loss
- job retention support
- employing a blind or partially sighted person
Do you want to know more about sight loss? Does your team help people with sight loss to find work? RNIB’s free “Understanding Sight Loss for Employment Professionals” e-Learning course will give you the knowledge and tools to help.
professionals – RNIB – See differently
They also have e-learning courses for jobseekers, employers and colleagues
RNIB’s free online jobseeker course has been designed to help people with sight loss decide the next steps to take when thinking about employment. We’ve called on the experience of our professional employment advisors to put together their top tips for a successful approach to looking for work. The course has been tested by people with sight loss to make sure it’s easy to use, addresses their job search queries and is fully accessible.
The online course is packed full of practical advice, including:
- What you need to do before applying for jobs
- Where to find opportunities
- How to complete a CV
- The best way to fill in an application form
- How to tackle interviews
- Behaviour and safety in the workplace
- Where to get help
Looking for work – RNIB – See differently
eLearning programme: Understanding Sight Loss for Employers and Work Colleagues
This free eLearning tool is designed to help employers and work colleagues gain a greater understanding of sight loss, and the differences it can make to the working life of blind or partially sighted employees.
Managers, supervisors, and all staff in a workplace can take this short online programme to gain a greater understanding of sight loss. It consists of four individual courses which will take about one hour in total to complete. Users can complete the programme all at once or dip in and out as time allows.
- Course one -The facts about sight loss and its impact
- Course two – Workplace responsibilities and interactions
- Course three – Inclusive recruitment, accessibility, and assistive technology
- Course four – Further information and the RNIB Visibly Better Employer quality standard.
There’s also an optional extra course:
- Course five – How to guide people with sight loss.
eLearning programme: Understanding Sight Loss for employers and work colleagues – RNIB – See differently
Let’s Work Together
Let’s Work Together, explains why sight loss can be less of a problem in the workplace than you might think. It’s a simple and straightforward guide designed to help employers support employees with sight loss. Use it to start a conversation or help your employer understand more.
Job retention – Northern Ireland
The RNIB Employment Team in Northern Ireland can offer support and advice to blind or partially sighted people facing challenges to do/retain a job due to sight loss
Our service involves working with employers and employees, to ensure that both parties get the advice and support they need so that employees retain their jobs and employers retain skilled and experienced staff. Support includes:
- Advice on reasonable adjustments and adaptations
- Individual mentoring and ongoing practical and emotional support
- A range of training opportunities in Assistive Technology and IT
- Onward referral to the Access to Work programme
- Visual Awareness Training for employers and work colleagues
RNIB delivers Workable NI as part of SES Supported Employment Solutions partnership which is made up of seven disability organisations from across Northern Ireland who have come together to deliver the Workable (NI) Programme across the Region
SES offers a Supported Employment approach in the delivery of programmes to assist people with disabilities and health conditions to enter and stay in employment. RNIB supports blind and partially sighted customers, but the partnership is made up of six other specialist organisations that can support all disability groups. For further information about the SES partnership – Supported Employment Solutions (sesni.org.uk)
Employing a blind or partially sighted person
To find out everything you need to know about employing or recruiting a person who is blind or partially sighted please click on the link below
Employing a blind or partially sighted person – RNIB – See differently