If you are at home with some time on your hands then there are a wide range of courses and other learning options available online, some with accreditation. We’ve put together a selection of the best free or cheap options we’ve found and will keep adding to this page as we identify new ones but we’d also love to add your suggestions. Some of these platforms will also have courses that may be helpful for your clients looking to add to their CV.
Don’t forget to also check out our coronavirus resources covering key information, home working, mental health and wellbeing, organisation resources, policies and templates, condition-specific guidance and more and our guide to return to work during and post Covid-19 and the lockdown.
Upcoming free webinars
See our events page.
- Members don’t forget you also have access to recordings of previous VRA webinars so you can catch up on any you missed
Online courses of particular interest to VR practitioners
The Open University has free health, sports and psychology courses which you can start to suit you and have free access for as long as you need. We’ve picked out a few below:
- Work and mental health
- Exploring depression
- Exploring learning disabilities: supporting belonging
- Exploring the relationship between anxiety and depression
- Introducing public health
- Understanding depression and anxiety
- Making sense of mental health problems
Futurelearn’s psychology and mental health courses and healthcare and medicine courses, almost all are free! We’ve picked out a few starting soon of particular interest below -you can join after the start dates whilst the course is still running:
- Supporting people with health conditions back to work: individual placement and support (IPS)
- Mindfulness for wellbeing and peak performance
- Psychology and mental health: beyond nature and nurture
- Youth mental health: helping young people with anxiety
- Demystifying mindfulness
- Good practice in autism education
- Understanding anxiety, depression and CBT
- Understanding ADHD: current research and practice
- Understanding Autism
- Cognitive behavioural skills to treat back pain
Alison has a range of free health courses (it seem to be funded by showing adverts which you can remove for a small fee) including:
Coursera which offers a number of free courses
Khan Academy has some health and medicine options including anatomy and physiology and lots of short condition-specific overviews
Edx has some free courses, Through my eyes – Intellectual disability healthcare around the world
Learn BSL level 1 with Doncaster Deaf Trust
Telephone assessment and rehabilitation skills for an outcome-focused rehabilitation session recording of a RTWPlus training session
Free online courses and webinar recordings for employers and employees from the British Safety Council including Covid-19: managing the workplace a practical perspective, managing mental health, stress awareness, managing stress within your team, mental health awareness, remote workers health, safety and welfare are here.
- Open University – wide range of free courses including business and management skills, communication, risk management, finance and much more.
- Stanford Online – has a few interesting business courses include rethinking teams, SEO and data
- Futurelearn – another varied range of courses including emergency planning and preparedness, digital, professional resilience and starting a business.
- Alison – lots of business and marketing courses (it seem to be funded by showing adverts which you can remove for a small fee).
- Shaw Academy – wide range of courses including digital marketing, graphic design, social media marketing, leadership and management, web design and much more. Appears to be one course free for anyone joining new.
- Virtual College has a number of free e-learning options including an introduction to GDPR.
Futurelearn which offers courses run by global universities has a short course on tackling the coronavirus starting on 23/3 but you can generally join for a while here and another on managing COVID-19 in general practice for front line healthcare professionals on 6/4.
Alison is running Coronavirus – what you need to know which you can join at any time.
E-integrity is offering a range of courses for healthcare professionals free through their coronavirus e-learning programme.
The International Labour Organisation Global Business and Disability Network have recorded their webinar on digital inclusion in Covid-19 responses in the world of work.