Unum, Flexible or home based
Who are we?
We are Unum – one of the UK’s leading employee benefits providers.
We’ve been around for 50 years, currently protecting over 1.7 million people, providing security and peace of mind to individuals and their families.
With a Fortune 500, US parent company, we’re part of highly successful global organisation, sharing ideas and innovations across teams to create a collaborative work environment. We’re transforming our business, and we’re keen to increase our digital capabilities to evolve the way we work and optimise opportunities for growth.
What will you be doing?
Based at the Basingstoke office. Under supervision to provide Job Retention/ Management Advice and Vocational Rehabilitation Services to Unum’s customers in order to facilitate return to work outcomes through effective case management. This role is an entry level training role to the Vocational Rehabilitation job family.
What will you bring?
- The role will work under the guidance of a mentor and manager to complete the VRC training/mentoring program. All items listed below would initially be commenced under supervision with the expectation of increasingly managing these activities independently.
- Deliver effective case management to achieve return to work outcomes. This will involve:
- Working concurrently on a number of cases, liaising with claims and medical services colleagues, as well as the employee and employer, to address and resolve sickness absence.
- Develop your expertise and experience in order to design, implement and monitor return to work plans, providing recommendations on reasonable adjustments and progressing adaptations in the workplace for employees.
- Coordinate with third party providers and ensure that all stakeholders are actively involved and informed.
- Produce high quality reports and management information within service standards.
- Be proficient with and utilise Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook email to record activity regularly.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with brokers and employers to reduce sickness absence in the workplace. Understand the client’s needs and provide a quality service which produces good customer feedback and creates successful and measurable outcomes.
- Support claims colleagues by assessing a claimant’s needs in relation to vocational rehabilitation, and where appropriate developing and delivering rehabilitation and return to work services. This includes conducting assessments, liaison with all parties in order to identify rehab potential and providing recommendations that will assist colleagues in the ongoing management of claims.
- Support Sales, Account Managers and our intermediaries in the acquisition of new clients and retention of existing clients. This may include delivering presentations which describe our services and demonstrate their value, and assisting employers to develop robust absence management processes to support them in returning employees back into the workplace.
- Be the key contact for some of our smaller Premier clients and their brokers, and support them with holistically managing absence
- Ensure the continued protection of Unum’s information, by following all applicable Information Security policies and procedures and by reporting suspected weaknesses in information security controls to the Information Security Officer.
- Understand how Conduct Risk, Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) Risk Management and Solvency II systems of Governance relate to both the role and the divisional activities and highlight any opportunities for improvement.
- Comply with Unum’s Code of Conduct and other Company Policies and Procedures as appropriate to the role.
- Delivers Results
- Sets high goals for personal accomplishment and contribution to team/area goals; monitors progress and works diligently to meet/exceed goals.
- Develops Self
- Displays strong capacity and thirst for learning and developing broad business and leadership skills; openness to diverse ideas & experiences and has keen self-awareness re: strengths and areas of development.
- Makes Effective Decisions
- Evaluates options by thinking both critically and holistically when considering relevant information and potential implications to both the team and company; chooses an effective option.
- Strong Business Acumen
- Displays strong understanding of own department and good general understanding of overall business objectives, evolving customer needs and technological solutions; applies continuous improvement practices to enhance business processes and results.
- Strong Teamwork
- Actively works collaboratively to help move the team toward the completion of team and business goals.
- Values Driven
- Interacts with others, internally and externally, in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization; operates with highest integrity/ethics.
Minimum entry criteria:
Qualification to degree level within the field of nursing, Occupational Therapy, Psychology or another health profession OR is progressing towards a health/disability management qualification
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite,
- Proven conflict and negotiation management skills
- Proven ability to build effective working relationships with internal and external customers
- Excellent communication skills
- The position is office based with some travel required to visit customers (brokers, employers or members), therefore a full driving license is useful.
- Departmental systems including SOAR, AWD and CMS
- Group Income Protection products
- Vocational Rehabilitation and case management within GIP
- Time management
- Presentation Skills
- Effective Meetings
- Understanding the Impact of Change
- Compulsory Annual Training
- Ongoing departmental development sessions including Management Development Programme sessions
- Performance Management
- Conflict Management
- Coaching skills
- Negotiation Skills
Why join us?
We aim to be the most inclusive, diverse and socially responsible company in the employee benefits market. With an agile and flexible way of working, we want to be a place where people aspire to work and where everyone can be themselves.
What will you get in return?
We are passionate about our employee health and wellbeing and providing work-life balance that suits you.
Our benefits include a discretionary bonus, 24/7 health support services (including a remote GP), income protection, health cash plan, 27 days annual leave, opportunity to participate in charitable events and more.
However you see your future career, we’ll support and challenge you to be your best with a wealth of learning and development opportunities.
Please apply here. If you need assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to UKTalentDevelopment@Unum.co.uk